It’s interesting to think about, isn’t it? Why do people give their valuable time for no financial benefits? Of course there are people who have to volunteer (sports groups, school groups, court mandated), but there are others who do it just because. Is it really “just because,” though?
Why do people volunteer?
- To use skills they may not be using. Some people are in jobs where they don’t use all of their skills. What do you do with unused skills? Use them by volunteering!
- To feel like they have a purpose. Helping others in need gives humans a sense of gratification, as it should.
- To gain a sense of oneness and community. There’s nothing like helping others together that creates a sense of camaraderie and a feeling that we’re all working toward the same goal in life.
- To help others. Some people just help others out of the goodness of their heart.
- To reduce boredom. What better way to use up “extra” time than by volunteering?
- To build skills. I guarantee you will learn tons of new skills if you volunteer.
- To make friends. Volunteering is great for making new friends. You’re around people with the same values as you.
- All of the above. Volunteering is such a rewarding experience, who wouldn’t want to reap all of the benefits mentioned above?
I don’t know about you, but I’m really proud to live in a society where people spend their time helping others, asking for nothing in return.
Why do you volunteer? Let us know by leaving a comment!