In honor of National Volunteer Week we have put together some interesting facts and information about volunteerism in the United States and worldwide. As of 2012, the estimated value of a volunteer’s time is $22.14 per hour. Discover more stats about volunteer time . How much money has your volunteers contributed to your organization?
The National Volunteer Week was established in 1974. Learn about the history of President Nixon’s executive order to celebrate people in action.
Volunteering = Happiness
There are some interesting statistics on volunteerism and happiness. For example, people who volunteer are more satisfied with their life than non-volunteers. And according to Argyle, M. (1996) The Social Psychology of Leisure, Penguin Books, human being’s second greatest source of joy is volunteering. The first source? dancing.
Want more interesting facts? Check out Volunteering for Happiness and Health
Reward Your Volunteers!
President’s Volunteer Service Award. You can officially recognize your top volunteers with one of three different levels of service awards.
12 Reasons People Volunteer
365 Ideas for Recruiting, Retaining, Motivating, and Rewarding Your Volunteers: A Complete Guide for Nonprofit Organizations Sunny Fader Atlantic Publishing Group 1405 SW 6th Ave., Ocala, FL 34471-0640 www.atlantic-pub.com 978-1-60138-149-1, 2010
- To feel good about themselves
- A desire to make a difference
- As an act of gratitude
- To share their gifts and talents
- To maintain proficiency with an unused skill
- To acquire new skills and experiences
- As a way to live their faith
- To make new friends and build community
- To realize a sense of accomplishment
- To help save the world
- To support and indulge their passion for the arts
- To follow family tradition